Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

epub reader for Windows 10

After downloading an eBook from '45 places you can download tens of thousands books, plays and other literary texts completely legally for free' I realized I had forgotten on whether or not I had a program that would open .epub files. I did a quick search on Google and discovered the Edge browser that came with Windows 10 will open and display the eBook in an epub reader, built into the browser. It worked great! Let me rephrase this statement... it worked great after I figured out how to open a file with the browser.

All browsers I've used in the past enable you to open local files from a menu at the top of the browser: File/Open. Edge doesn't have this. I also tried dragging and dropping the file onto a new browser tab — didn't work either. After doing another Google search, I found the only way you can open local files is by holding down the shift key and right clicking on them. When the right click menu appears, you have the option to "Open with..." and you choose Edge from the menu.

One other method I tried and had success with, is by right clicking on the file you want to open. Copy the path and file name of the file you want to open and paste it into the address bar. This formats the url a little odd. Mine looked like this: file:///C:/Users/Steve/Desktop/the%20origin%20of%20species_charles%20darwin.epub.

Seems odd that Microsoft would leave this (File/Open) feature out of its newest browser.