Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Money Matters: Learning How to Price Your Photos to Sell

Peace River, AlbertaI see a lot of great photographers on the Internet and especially on Facebook. I also see a lot of these people trying to make it as a professional. Setting up a business without any previous business experience can seem like a daunting task. One of the things you have to decide on is how much to charge for your product or service.  Some are scared to ask for too much — some price themselves out of the market. I ran across an article in 'Entrepreneur' titled 'Money Matters: Learning How to Price Your Photos to Sell' which offers some good advice. If you plan on being a photographer, you should have a look at. It's short and will only take a minute to read. I'd like to offer some additional advice.

If you've read that article, there is something very important it doesn't tell you...

Since this would be a local business, you can find out what your competitors are charging. Try to offer something they don't, or find a new way to offer it that makes your business unique. While you're having a look at your competitors you should note the prices they charge for various photo packages too. They may have more experience than you running a business. But if you've done something to make your business a little more unique, you can price yourself right in the middle. You don't want to be the most expensive, but you don't want to be the least expensive either  — right in the middle is where you want to be.

It could be a challenge for you to meet a middle price, but it's best to find a way to present it. Then offer upsells to increase your price.

Personally, this isn't a job I have ever considered. Once in a while I get lucky. The image I've included in this post was taken in Peace River, Alberta. This is just outside of my hotel and taken with my cellphone. There was a storm moving into the area.